Don't have the time for a more leisurely or better thought-out post on this, sadly, but need to note nonetheless. Independence Day greetings this year were, with some exceptions, met with uniform scorn.
Snark being the order of the day, wasn't surprised. But the question remains: granted that inherited soft-core jingoism may rightly be deemed naive, but how less naive is inherited contempt?
Undeniable that the country - and dare I add, each one of us? - has a long and ugly way to walk still before we can have guilt-free celebrations. One would have to be gloriously imbecilic or living under a toadstool to not see why. But still, what is particularly objectionable to commemorating a day to freedom? It is something we cling to viciously, is it not?
Whether it be A. R. Rehman's music or stories of presently unimaginable sacrifice that have worked itself into unconscious; whether it be merely gladness to be alive or to have even this, this ability to question and scoff - Independence Day can mean more than just habit and school-child hangover. History cannot be pretended away. This doesn't necessarily mean one ought to feel anger or bitterness over injustices committed, but there really is nothing commendable about having no memory of it either.
Am sorely tempted to smirk and throw blistering sarcasm right back at these responses. But I think what I'd prefer - if anyone's asking :) - is just ensuring that one has thought out one's reasons and is not merely repeating what immediate social pond seems to agree upon.
Just ties in with larger realisation that time only makes firmer in head. While I would still claim that such a dichotomy does not truly exist and must be resisted at all costs - if it ever comes down to picking between the talkers and the doers, I can safely say I've decided which camp I'd like to be on.
Snark being the order of the day, wasn't surprised. But the question remains: granted that inherited soft-core jingoism may rightly be deemed naive, but how less naive is inherited contempt?
Undeniable that the country - and dare I add, each one of us? - has a long and ugly way to walk still before we can have guilt-free celebrations. One would have to be gloriously imbecilic or living under a toadstool to not see why. But still, what is particularly objectionable to commemorating a day to freedom? It is something we cling to viciously, is it not?
Whether it be A. R. Rehman's music or stories of presently unimaginable sacrifice that have worked itself into unconscious; whether it be merely gladness to be alive or to have even this, this ability to question and scoff - Independence Day can mean more than just habit and school-child hangover. History cannot be pretended away. This doesn't necessarily mean one ought to feel anger or bitterness over injustices committed, but there really is nothing commendable about having no memory of it either.
Am sorely tempted to smirk and throw blistering sarcasm right back at these responses. But I think what I'd prefer - if anyone's asking :) - is just ensuring that one has thought out one's reasons and is not merely repeating what immediate social pond seems to agree upon.
Just ties in with larger realisation that time only makes firmer in head. While I would still claim that such a dichotomy does not truly exist and must be resisted at all costs - if it ever comes down to picking between the talkers and the doers, I can safely say I've decided which camp I'd like to be on.

No comments:
Post a Comment